The non-governmental organisation “Žene u crnom“ (Women in Black) organised a performance “Srebrenica 8372” in Belgrade late on Tuesday to mark the 23rd anniversary of the war crime committed in this town on July 11, 1995, the FoNet news agency reported.
The gathering in the central Belgrade Republic’s Square went on without an incident under careful watch by police both uniformed and in plain clothes.
The performance lasted for an hour, held in absolute silence with participants holding banners reading “Srebrenica,” “Solidarity,” and “Responsibility.”
About 15 of those taking part wore papers with the number 8372, as a reminder of the suspected number of Bosniaks killed in Serbrenica massacre, FoNet said.
The participants later covered a plateau in the Square with flowers.
Another NGO, the Youth Initiative for Human Rights, said they would hold a gathering remembering Srebrenica on Wednesday night at the Pionir park outside Serbia’s President Aleksandar Vucic’s office.
The international court ruled that the Srebrenica massacre constituted a genocide. In April 1993 the UN had declared the besieged enclave of the eastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica a safe area under the UN protection. However, in July 1995 the Dutch battalion soldiers failed to prevent the town's capture by the Bosnian Serb forces and the massacre that followed.
More than 8,000 Bosniak men and boys were killed in the genocide committed in the days after 11 July 1995 and so far the remains of more than 6,600 have been found and buried.