An international team of lawyers, representing Davor Dragicevic, a father who claims his son was murdered, will make progress in this case very soon, and they will be dealing solely with the law, evidence and facts, not with politics, the lawyers said on Tuesday.
“We give you the word that we will be working conscientiously, led by laws, to unveil the truth. We’re not paid, we will get nothing in return. We’re even ready to give our money to end with this,” said lawyer Dusko Tomic, the team member.
The lawyers from Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia will be representing the parents in the battle to prove that their son, 21-year-old David Dragicevic, was murdered earlier this year in the northwestern Bosnia’s city of Banja Luka.
The parents claimed David was brutally murdered and the police were tampering with the evidence, protecting the perpetrators in this way. This prompted mass protests in Banja Luka in April, and citizens kept gathering, demanding from authorities to reveal the circumstances of the Dragicevic’s death.
Police in Republika Srpska (RS), one of Bosnia's two semi-autonomous entities, said Dragicevic had drowned and that the case contained no elements of a criminal offence, but then autopsies conducted by two different teams gave opposite results regarding the time of the death of the young man.
Davor Dragicevic, the father, thanked the international team of lawyers for supporting him in his battle.
“I have no money. (…) They stood with me and my dead child,” he said.
Anto Nobilo, a lawyer from Croatia, said the team would get access to the investigation materials and they would use it to determine the truth.
“We will make a detailed analysis, after which we will discuss the activities and measures to get involved in this process,” Nobilo noted.
According to Zora Nikodinovic-Dobricanin, a lawyer from Serbia, the progress in this case is expected very soon.
The RS National Assembly’s collegium decided earlier on Tuesday the parliament would not discuss the Dragicevic case, which the opposition MPs requested.
Opposition MP, Adam Sukalo, assessed this decision as “horrible and hypocritical”, accusing the RSNA Speaker and the RS President of breaching the entity constitution and the parliament’s rules of procedure.
“This cannot happen in the RS. This is a terror by the parliamentary majority,” Sukalo added.