UNMICT Prosecutors want review of decision in Mladic case

UNMICT Prosecutors want review of decision in Mladic case

UNMICT Prosecutors want review of decision in Mladic case Izvor: REUTERS/Martin Meissner/Pool/File Photo
Haški sud, 2011.

Prosecutors at the Hague-based court tasked with continuing the job of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) have requested the forming of a council to review the consequences of a recent decision to exclude three judges in the appeal case of war crimes defendant Ratko Mladic, according to the Detektor.ba news portal.

In a first instance ruling last year, the ICTY found Mladic guilty of a number of crimes committed during the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia, including the genocide in Srebrenica, the persecution of Muslims and Croats, terror tactics against the population of Sarajevo, and taking UNPROFOR personnel hostage.

International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (UNMICT) Judge Jean-Claude Antonetti on Wednesday accepted an appeal by Mladic's defence and excluded Carmel Agius, Liu Daqun and Theodor Meron from the second-instance procedure in the case.

The UNMICT is tasked with finishing the job of the ICTY, which closed its doors last year.

According to Detector.ba, UNMICT Prosecutor Katrina Gustafson said the council must be formed since Antonetti’s decision ‘represents a definitive shift in the established judicial practice at International criminal courts until now.’

‘The Prosecution disputes the decision by Antonetti. This decision ignored established standards regarding judicial objectivity and resulted in a big mistake,’ Gustafson said, adding that it is now the obligation of the UNMICT President to name a three-member review council.

Antonetti approved the request to remove the three judges saying that they are biased because they made decisions in previous trials involving Mladic.

The decision sparked numerous reactions.

While Mladic’s lawyers praised it, associations of war victims in Bosnia criticised it heavily, expressing fears that justice will not be served.

Comments (0)

Comment sent successfully.

Comment sending failed.

Invalid CAPTCHA

* All fields are required

MOST POPULAR

NAJNOVIJE

READ MORE

NEWS

NEWS

Srebrenica initiative to award Igor Soltes with 'Potocari Charter' 16:52 h

16:52 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

EU Representative: No corruption can be permitted in Bosnia's top judicial body 15:02 h

15:02 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Bosnia plans to ban timber exports for the next two years 14:52 h

14:52 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Rescuers still searching for missing boy and man 12:52 h

12:52 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Serbian police searching for triple homicide suspect in Novi Sad 12:17 h

12:17 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Brexit failure forces British PM Theresa May to announce resignation 12:16 h

12:16 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Bosnia and Croatia keep harbouring each other’s fugitives 09:38 h

09:38 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

UN war crimes prosecutor’s interview to N1 23.05.2019.

23.05.2019.  |  NEWS

loader