Serbian PM says Srebrenica was war crime, not genocide

Serbian PM says Srebrenica was war crime, not genocide

Serbian PM says Srebrenica was war crime, not genocide Izvor: REUTERS/Vasily Fedosenko

Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic told Radio Deutsche Welle that the Srebrenica massacre was a war crime, not genocide.

“It was a horrendous crime. A war crime. I am not proud of it. It was not done in the name of the Serbian people and Serbia cannot be collectively blamed for what happened there,” she said, adding that genocide means killing an entire population which, according to her, was not the case in Srebrenica.

She said Serbia is the best possible example in the region in terms of attitude towards war criminals. “You can’t deny everything that Serbia has done in regard to war crimes since 2000. Far more has been done in the past 18 years than in all the other countries of the region,” Brnabic said.

She added that she is absolutely proud of how Serbia treated problems from the past. Asked about the fact that convicted war criminals are being treated like heroes and role models, the prime minister said she does not support that.

She said that the convicted war criminals who have been rehabilitated in public in Serbia had served their sentences and had been released. “Do you want us to imprison them somewhere in Serbia so that no one ever sees their face again,” she asked.

“Serbia has done its part but I would warn everyone not to look only at Serbia but to look at what other countries in the region are doing,” Brnabic said.  

On July 11, 1995, Bosnian Serb forces overran the eastern Bosnian enclave of Srebrenica and rounded up the town’s Muslim Bosniaks, separated men from women and little children and systematically executed some 8,000 men and boys.

The bodies of the victims were buried in a large number of mass graves. Forensic experts excavated them and identified the bones through DNA analysis before returning the bodies to the families for interment on July 11 at the Memorial Centre’s cemetery.

The International Criminal Tribunal (ICTY) for the Former Yugoslavia and the International Court of Justice later ruled that the massacre was an act of genocide.

International and regional courts have sentenced 45 people for what happened in Srebrenica to a total of more than 700 years behind bars.

Comments (0)

Comment sent successfully.

Comment sending failed.

Invalid CAPTCHA

* All fields are required

MOST POPULAR

NAJNOVIJE

READ MORE

NEWS

NEWS

Families to bury 86 war crime victims from Prijedor on Saturday 14:51 h

14:51 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Komsic: Dodik made a deal with Croatian President regarding Peljesac bridge 13:27 h

13:27 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

The Netherlands partly responsible for death of some 300 Srebrenica men 11:37 h

11:37 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Slovenian Interior Minister: Frontex could be sent to Bosnian-Croatian border 09:28 h

09:28 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

UK will plunge into recession if it leaves Europe without a Brexit deal 08:55 h

08:55 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Bosnian Serbs declare Croatian bridge their national interest 08:46 h

08:46 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

FBiH entity adopts Law on Rights of Veterans 18.07.2019.

18.07.2019.  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Bosnian co-production film The Son to open 25th Sarajevo Film Festival 18.07.2019.

18.07.2019.  |  NEWS

loader