The first electric tram started operating in Sarajevo on this date 124 years ago, replacing the horse-drawn tram, the oldest means of public transportation in the Bosnian capital.
Electric tram's initial route was circling from the railway station, which was located near today's Bristol hotel, to the Latin bridge, in the central part of the city.
The wagons had two doors and could carry 24 passengers. Areas for smokers and non-smokers were separated.
The cars were made by the Siemens-Schuckert company and were the first trams ever produced by this manufacturer.
Sarajevo's tram network, dating back to the Austro-Hungarian era of the city, is one of the oldest in Europe. It opened on New Years Day in 1885 as a test line for Vienna's trams, which was horse-drawn at that time.