Bosniak leaders: Dutch soldiers' responsibility for genocide cannot be partial

Bosniak leaders: Dutch soldiers' responsibility for genocide cannot be partial

Bosniak leaders: Dutch soldiers' responsibility for genocide cannot be partial Izvor: Fena

The Dutch soldiers were responsible and obliged to protect all the residents of the UN safe zone Srebrenica and that was their mandate from the UN, Bosnia's Bosniak Presidency member Sefik Dzaferovic said after the Dutch Supreme Court confirmed on Friday a 2017 ruling which said that the Netherlands is partly responsible for the deaths of 300 victims of the 1995 Srebrenica genocide.

“They are also responsible for all other victims, not just the 350 of them whom they forced out of their camp and handed over to (former Serb army general Ratko) Mladic and (former Republika Srpska entity president Radovan) Karadzic and their butchers. Their responsibility is absolute and cannot be expressed in percentages,” Dzaferovic, who is also a high-ranking official of the strongest Bosniak party, the Democratic Action Party (SDA), said in a written statement.

He added he would continue providing all the support he can to the families of genocide victims and their associations.

The Bosniak leader and the leader of the SDA Bakir Izetbegovic also commented on the verdict saying that it is shameful and distasteful to express responsibility for such an act in any percentage.

The Supreme Court of the Kingdom of the Netherlands confirmed on Friday a 2017 ruling which said that the Netherlands is partly responsible for the deaths of 300 victims of the 1995 Srebrenica genocide.

The court determined that the Dutch battalion could probably not have prevented the Bosnian Serb soldiers from arresting the Bosniak men.

In April 1993 the UN had declared the besieged enclave of the eastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica a safe zone under the UN protection. However, in July 1995 the Dutch battalion failed to prevent the town's capture by the Bosnian Serb forces and the massacre that followed.

More than 8,000 Bosniak men and boys were killed in the genocide committed in the days after 11 July 1995, and so far the remains of more than 6,600 have been found and buried.

Comments (0)

Comment sent successfully.

Comment sending failed.

Invalid CAPTCHA

* All fields are required

MOST POPULAR

NAJNOVIJE

READ MORE

NEWS

NEWS

Seven more deaths, 292 new coronavirus cases reported 16:48 h

16:48 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

UK: PM Johnson admitted to hospital days after testing positive for coronavirus 16:31 h

16:31 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Coronavirus update: Croatia reports 40 new cases, one death in last 24 hours 16:31 h

16:31 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Security Minister: We are grateful for the donation from United Group 16:23 h

16:23 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

YIHR activists: Take a 'virtual walk' through Sarajevo and learn something new 15:56 h

15:56 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Shareholders and Abraham Group reach agreement on Bosnia's aluminium smelter 15:05 h

15:05 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Prime Minister: 150,000 coronavirus tests arrive in Bosnia's Federation entity 13:00 h

13:00 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Edin Dzeko congratulates Day of Sarajevo 12:41 h

12:41 h  |  NEWS

loader