Srebrenica Peace March to start from Crni Vrh instead of Nezuk due to Covid-19

Srebrenica Peace March to start from Crni Vrh instead of Nezuk due to Covid-19

Srebrenica Peace March to start from Crni Vrh instead of Nezuk due to Covid-19 Izvor: Anadoliija

The planned activities regarding the starting point of the Peace March within the 25th anniversary of the Srebrenica genocide have been cancelled, said the head of the Organizing Committee Hamdija Fejzic on Tuesday, adding that the march will start from the nearby Crni Vrh, on July 8.

"The reason why this activity will not take place is due to the situation in Nezuk caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Unfortunately, the residents of this settlement are in a difficult situation due to the virus, so the Organizing Committee is forced to cancel this activity,” Fejzic said.

As a survivor of the genocide, and head of the Organizing Committee for the 25th anniversary of the genocide against Bosniaks in Srebrenica, Fejzic asked the authorities to help the residents of Nezuk, who are struggling with problems caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

According to him, the starting camp will instead be formed in the village called Liplje, where all the participants are advised to gather.

This year's anniversary of the slaughter of over 8,000 Muslim men and boys from the area of Srebrenica will be much different from previous years. There will be no guests present at the burial ceremony, but their messages will be read or played via video link, as not to spread the new coronavirus to the guests and family members of the victims whose remains will be buried on July 11.

In April 1993, the UN had declared the besieged enclave of the eastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica a safe area under UN protection.
However, in July 1995, the Dutch battalion failed to prevent the town's capture by the Bosnian Serb forces and the massacre that followed.

More than 8,000 Bosniak men and boys were killed in the days following July 11, 1995, and so far the remains of more than 6,600 have been found and buried.

The International Criminal Tribunal (ICTY) for the Former Yugoslavia and the International Court of Justice later ruled that the massacre was an act of genocide.

International and regional courts have sentenced 45 people for what happened in Srebrenica to a total of more than 700 years behind bars. Those who the ICTY sentenced to life imprisonment are Ljubisa Beara, Zdravko Tolimir, and Vujadin Popovic. But the most well known alleged masterminds of what happened in Srebrenica are former Bosnian Serb politician Radovan Karadzic and ex Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic, and both have been sentenced for it but have appealed.

Comments (0)

Comment sent successfully.

Comment sending failed.

Invalid CAPTCHA

* All fields are required

MOST POPULAR

NAJNOVIJE

READ MORE

NEWS

NEWS

EPA's veteran photojournalist Srdjan Sulejmanovic dies at 52 20:19 h

20:19 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Kosovo reports 63 new coronavirus cases, no deaths 19:30 h

19:30 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Zlatan Ibrahimovic confirms he caught Covid-19 18:08 h

18:08 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Bosnian police arrests two individuals for alleged migrant smuggling 17:42 h

17:42 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Head of OSCE Mission to Bosnia meets Mostar and Stolac officials 17:08 h

17:08 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Institute: Russian-Serbian partnership in decline 16:24 h

16:24 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

Local authorities in Serbia destroying SBB's cable network 16:03 h

16:03 h  |  NEWS

NEWS

NEWS

EU donates €900,000 worth of medical equipment to Bosnia 16:01 h

16:01 h  |  NEWS

loader