UN Court rejects Karadzic's request for appeal to final verdict

Share:
Source: Reuters

A UN tribunal rejected the former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic’s request for appeal to the life sentence on Wednesday, which he received last month for his involvement in crimes against humanity, the Srebrenica genocide and other war crimes committed during the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia.

“Neither the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT) Statute nor the Mechanism’s rules have any legal bases for an appeal to the final verdict or a part of it,” said Judge Carmel Agius responding to Karadzic’s motion.

The decision also means the Court rejected his request for appointment of a legal counsel who would help him with the preparation of the request for the review of the verdict.

Last month, the IRMCT – the court tasked with finishing the work of the now-closed International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), sentenced Radovan Karadzic to life in prison, increasing the 40-year first-instance verdict for genocide and other crimes committed during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

After the sentencing, Karadzic said that the Trial Chamber was wrong when it based its decision to increase the previous 40-year sentence to life imprisonment on convictions to other indictees.

He claimed they should have taken into account the peculiarities from his case, like the fact that he resigned from the position of the President of the breakaway ‘Serb Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina’ which later became one of Bosnia’s two semi-autonomous entities, the Serb-dominated Republika Srpska (RS).

Karadzic requested that the Court dismisses its decision on the length of the sentence and to return the case to the first instance trial chamber which would then decide on the adequate sentence.

The former President of wartime RS was initially sentenced on March 24, 2016, to 40 years in prison.