Podgorica registered 3,208 active coronavirus cases in Montenegro, or 509 sick people per 100,000 citizens, according to the health authorities data.
The Public Health Institute said on Sunday there were 226 newly infected people and added the results of some 1,000 samples sent to Germany due to the local laboratories’ overload confirmed 488 positive cases.
“Considering the number of newly discovered cases, a total of active cases in Montenegro is 3,208, or 509 per 100,000 people in the country,” the Institute said.
It added the samples were taken two weeks ago after the August 30 general elections in Montenegro during which there were mass gatherings of both the regime and opposition supporters despite bans on big rallies.
Strict anti-epidemic measures are in place in Montenegro, and the health authorities do not exclude the quarantine for the entire towns if “the hospitals become full.”
Montenegro was the only coronavirus-free country in Europe at the beginning of June, but soon after Podgorica opened the borders the virus returned and spread rapidly.
During the first wave, 324 people were infected, and nine died, while since the mid-June 8,388 had been infected and 118 died in less than three months.